IDST3500E Problem Set 1
Problem Set 1
Problem Set #1
The information contained in the table is taken from an Anthropology 101 course from The Davis Institute of Higher Learning. Anthropology 101 is taught once a year at The Davis Institute of Higher Learning. The majority of the students are college freshmen; however, there are a few sophomores in the class. Typically, the class is full with about 75 students making up two sections. However, this year the class is full with only 50 students. Use the information in the table to answer the questions below.
|Name||Test Score #1||Test Score #2|
1) What is the information included within the table considered?
2) What descriptive statistics can you gather from the information presented in the table?
3) Define the terms mean and mode. Also, calculate the mean and determine the mode of each set of test scores. You need to have two means and two modes.
4) Is the information in the table considered a population or a sample? Define both population and sample. And, describe what inferences can be made based on the information in the table?
5) What is a placebo?
6) When humans first realized that counting was a good idea, this became a useful skill for people to have:
a. Knowing the alphabet
b. Asking questions
c. Collecting information
d. Making decisions
7) Come up with three of the most interesting questions you can about your own area of study or interest. Do your best to come up with questions for which you would want real, existing information or data. (This does not relate to the previous questions. This is a completely different and independent question). Be creative.