PHE5020 Biostatistical Methods SU01 Week 3 Discussion
Week 3: Discussion Assignment
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posting. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Cite sources in your responses to other classmates.
Statistics for Contingency Tables
The purpose of this assignment is to learn about categorical data and the statistics used to analyze this type of data.
You can expect to research and provide your own definitions of these concepts. You will also discuss in what situations to use each statistic, how these statistics are used to test for significance of relations among the data, and how to interpret each statistic. The takeaways from this assignment are an understanding of contingency tables as a representation of categorical data, two statistics used to analyze this type of data, and an understanding of how to interpret these statistics in the context of a public health analysis.
Using the South University Online Library, the Internet, and your text readings, research the following statistical topics:
- Contingency tables
- The chi-square
- Fisher’s exact test (FET)
On the basis of your research, respond to the following:
- Find and state a definition of a contingency table that you feel is easy to understand.
- In your own words, explain what contingency tables are and what they are used for.
- Explain what type of data is displayed in contingency tables.
- Explain how contingency tables and their related statistics are used to test for significance of relations among the data.
- Two statistics that can be used in contingency tables are chi-square and FET. Distinguish between the two statistics.
- Explain when you would use the chi-square and when you would use the FET.
- Explain how you would interpret each statistic.
- Post your response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned. Respond to at least two posts by the end of the wee