PHE5020 Biostatistical Methods SU01 Week 4 Discussion
Assignment 1: Discussion Assignment
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posting. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Cite sources in your responses to other classmates.
Coefficient of Determination
The purpose of this assignment is to learn about the coefficient of determination (R2) statistic as a measure of the fit of a regression line.
R2 is a statistical measure of how close the data are to a fitted regression line. In general, the higher the R2, the better the model fits your data. However, while R2 measures goodness of fit, it does not indicate whether a regression model is adequate. You can have a low R2 value for a good model or a high R2 value for a model that does not fit the data.
Using the South University Online Library, the Internet, and your text readings, research about R2. On the basis of your research and your involvement in public health functions, respond to the following:
- Find and state a definition of R2 that you feel is easy to understand.
- In your own words, provide a substantive explanation of what R2
- Explain what the statistic R2 is used for in regression analysis.
- Explain how R2 is affected by sample size.
- Describe whether a large R2 value means that a regression is significant. Provide reasons for your answer.
- Describe how you would substantively interpret R2.
- Post your response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned. Respond to at least two posts by the end of the week.